In the Kansas City metro area, accidents caused by aggressive drivers are more common than one may imagine. Kansas City, as in other larger more densely populated cities across the U.S., are where drivers’ tempers typically flare as they fight the traffic congestion, road construction, and morning or evening commutes. Some drivers simply have no patience and allow their frustration to overcome their sensibilities when it comes to navigating Kansas City’s roadways. This can lead to serious or even deadly accidents in which innocent people become victims. As compassionate Kansas City car accident lawyers, we want to help you avoid becoming the victim in a road rage accident.
Individuals who put other people or property in danger by committing a combination of moving traffic offenses are defined as aggressive drivers, according to the Missouri Driving Guide. When these drivers put other people’s well-being and lives at risk, the likelihood an accident will occur is substantially increased. Sadly, innocent individuals can be seriously injured or lose their lives due to these preventable traffic accidents. This is especially true when motorcycles are involved. When motorists operate their vehicles in an attentive, calm manner, the instances of traffic accidents can be greatly reduced.
Unfortunately, aggressive drivers are angry, anxious, and frustrated. These types of emotions can lead a driver to “snap.” Here are a few of the driving behaviors often exhibited by aggressive, unsafe drivers:
- Weaving in and out of traffic;
- Failing to stop at red lights and stop signs;
- Intentionally riding another car’s bumper, also known as tailgating;
- Flashing headlights;
- Passing other cars illegally (such as on double yellow lines or shoulder of highway);
- Yelling obscenities, or making rude gestures;
- Expressing frustration by constant use of the horn;
- Forcing other drivers to swerve;
So, how should you deal with an aggressive driver?
- Do not make eye contact with the driver;
- Report an aggressive driver to authorities, providing them with as much information as possible including license plate number, vehicle description, and location of the motorist if possible;
- Make every effort to get out of the aggressive driver’s way in a safe manner;
- Avoid becoming involved in a “road battle” – never challenge the aggressive driver or attempt to keep up your speed to prove to the other driver he or she does not intimidate you. Simply let the driver pass;
- Do not return an obscene gesture;
- Ignore the disrespectful actions that may lead to angry exchanges;
If you witness an accident involving an aggressive driver you noticed earlier, call 911 or your local police department to report the driver’s behavior. This may give the officer a better picture as to why and how the accident happened and to determine who was at fault
If you have been injured in a car crash caused by an aggressive driver, you may be eligible for monetary compensation of medical and other costs associated with your injuries. Before hiring a lawyer you may want to see our article about how to hire an injury lawyer. At McCollum Injury Law, LLC our Kansas City Injury lawyers are skilled, diligent, and dedicated to obtaining the best possible results for victims whose lives have been unexpectedly turned upside down because of negligent motorists. InjuryLawFirm.Lawyer